Monday, June 13, 2016

#36 Eat an elephant (Chi-Town Chinos)

In our home, we have a question that we ask each other when a task seems too big to accomplish.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

It essentially means you better stop complaining, start working, and little by little see it through to the end. And that's the way I made these Chi-Town Chinos.



I love that the designer of the Chi-Town Chinos, Alina, had no formal fashion education (like me) and manages to not only educate is her pattern instructions, but empower. She wrote, "If you can stitch a straight line...you can make clothes" As, I was seam-ripping I'm sure I muttered to myself several times, "I can stitch a straight line." "I can make these." "How do you eat an elephant?"

And bit(e) by bit(e), stitch by stitch I finished these shorts and the skills learned are more precious because it cost me more to gain them. Call me crazy but I hate mistakes, so I learn from them.



These shorts had a lot of firsts for me: 

First time sewing a pattern with woven fabric
First time making bias tape (thanks Kathryn!)
Belt loops
Bar tacks 
Slash pockets
Pocket lining
Pocket flaps
Button holes
Adding a zipper

How have I been sewing all my clothes for 6 months and never run into these things?!

So to steal Alina's words once again, "...I'll be your biggest cheerleader. I've been where you are-and if I can do it, you can too." I may have needed an extra dose of cheerleading which is fine because we are in-person friends not just inter-web acquaintances.

Seriously, a huge thank you to Alina for letting me pattern test and learn so much. My next post will have even more details about the cuteness of these shorts, but for now check out this amazing designer!





2 comments:

  1. Great job! Nice work and fabric too.Where did you get your fabric? And what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a ton! Most of my fabric stash is stuff I pick up at rummage sales. That's where I got this green linen for these shorts.

    ReplyDelete